The Scent-sational Series is dedicated to my lifelong friend Jody Cantor. Jody lost her sight and remains physical and mentally challenged due to brain damage from a cardiac arrest last year. So I have begun creating floral packages rich in scent for her to enjoy. I ship these packages to her with a letter about our various childhood adventures (as her long term memory remains good) and hope they are read to her while the power of the scent takes her deeply into a happy place.
So this week, while enjoying a sweet memory of us playing dress up as little girls, I couldn’t help but reflect on the simple, yet sweet pleasures of our childhood. Therefore, sweet and simple was my inspiration for this scent-sational flower power remedy. I made a wonderfully fragrant recipe of rose water for Jody to enjoy this month. Made from heirloom roses, simmered down into distilled water and then bottled to be spritzed on skin, hair and linens for a sweet rose sensation. May the sweet scent of roses conjure up little girls giggling and dancing around in colorful costumes. Enjoy my sweet friend.
1. A few freshly picked roses from the garden (pesticide and chemical free)
2. Remove the petals. Do not use the stem and leaves.
3. Place the rose petals in a large pot and add just enough distilled water to cover petals.
4. Cover pot with a lid and simmer on a low flame.
5. Allow water to steam until petals have lost their color and water has taken on the color of the rose petals.
6. Strain the water and collect in a container.
7. Funnel into the spray bottle.